Sunday, February 27, 2011

He who began a good work in you....


Someone once said to me, “You and Dean are such great people.  God bless you.  I just couldn’t do it.”  Actually, both Dean and I have heard versions of this statement many times over the years.  I'm sure we're not alone.  Other moms and dads answering the call to care for an orphans through adoption have told us of similar comments that have been made to them.  Each time the words are spoken, we are reminded of how inadequate and ill-equipped we once were and how AWESOME the Lord is to not have left us that way.  

First of all, let me say that the ONLY great things about Dean and I are a result of the Lord’s work in us.  I was reflecting on this truth last night while I was reading Paul and Timothy’s words to the church at Phillipi.  “I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”  Phillipians 1:3-6. And then, at church today, I picked up my Sunday School book for next quarter and was so excited to see that we are going to be studying this very passage next week!  Why am I surprised when God confirms a truth in my heart by showing me how he’s gone ahead of me and prepared me for what’s to come?  [Secretly, I think I let myself be surprised this way because I love, love, love the way unexpected confirmation feels in my heart.]

The Lord’s promise to the church at Phillipi wasn’t just for the Phillipians….and it isn’t just for me.  When He beings a work in us, He completes it!  He equips….He supplies….He covers…..He provides!  So….in a way, it’s true.  You cannot do it!  You aren’t good enough! You aren’t equipped [yet], and you aren’t adequate [yet].  BUT HE IS…and HE WILL complete HIS work in YOU!  

I remember what we were like 11 years ago when God first called us to adopt.  We looked at other foster/adoptive parents with awe and wonder and questioned God daily about our fears.  Would a new addition change our family too much?  Would it be fair to our other children to bring in this orphaned, hurting child? Would we be able to give our sons everything they deserved in life?  Could we really come up with [sacrifice, give up or ask for] the money we needed to adopt a child?  Wow! We were all about ourselves, weren’t we?  Thank you, God, for not leaving us THERE!

As we prayed and trusted God, he began to put other questions into our hearts as he worked in our lives.  Will you turn your eyes and look away from the least of these?  Do the things that break My heart break your heart? Have your lives become so comfortable that you don’t know what hopeless looks like?  Do you have room for just one more?  Can you trust Me with your lives so that they will know Me one day?

And when we began to surrender to His will for our lives…and the going got tough…we began to ask God even more questions.  What do we do about this child, Lord?  This is really hard, Lord.  Are we strong enough for this, Lord?  Shouldn’t we put our other children first?  Will this child ever be healed, Lord?  What will happen, Lord, when this child has to leave and go back to his family?  How will our hearts stand the pain? And He began to answer us, assuring us of His will and of his provision.  Dean and I weren’t always the [far from perfect] parents we are today. The ability to feed, clothe, nurture and train up in the Lord these 7 children is a result of the Lord equipping us for His glory. Every adoption has been through His provision, and every addition has been such a blessing.  From caring social workers, effective trainings, and a supportive church to embracing families, encouraging friends and financial provision, God has always made a way where there seemed NO WAY we could do it ourselves.  

It’s our hope and prayer that the Lord will use us to encourage you and equip you to answer the call to care for orphans through foster care or adoption.  In the coming weeks I’ll be sharing with you the many ways the Lord has equipped {and continues to equip] us and others to serve the least of these.  Let me know if you think of a topic or interest that you or someone you know would be blessed to hear about. Check back often for support and encouragement and know that you will never be alone on your journey should you choose to answer His call to care for orphans through adoption or foster care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment