Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday in Guangzhou

Much of the day today was free time.  We had our first lazy morning and it was just what we needed!  We made it to breakfast before it closed and then walked around the gardens a bit more. before heading back to the room for a nap.  A day that begins at 9:00 and includes a nap by 11:00 is a good day!  Not having to get somewhere first thing in the morning was easier on our two littlest ones. Riley was also easier to manage.  I think he's much happier today.  He's walking around singing again and playing the air guitar, signs that he's in good spirits.   Every few minutes I hear, "Bless the Lord, oh my soul, oh my soul, worship His holy name…." and I'm thankful! 





We picked up a few things for lunch at the delicatessen in the hotel and then met Rebecca and the Johnsons in the lobby at 3:00 to go to the police department to apply for Jubilee's passport.  We were only gone about an hour.  Rebecca handles everything and tells you when to sit, when to stand and where to sign.  So thankful to have the details taken care of!  Riley did well and the babies were quiet throughout the outing.  We returned to the hotel room about 4:30 to plan the evening.

Wyatt has been pretty happy since we received him.  He doesn't really interact with us very much, which lets me know we've got our work cut out for us.  He explores his environment and takes things apart constantly.  He does get angry if you try to direct him.  Something funny:  To try to keep Wyatt out of things, I'll pick him up.  He'll immediately lean his body over and point to the floor, crying and wanting down.  When I won't put him down he begins sobbing.  After a minute or two my arms will be killing me, so I'll set him down, after which he'll reach up crying to be held.  It seems that once he's angry and upset, he needs to be comforted by being held, even if it was being held that made him angry and upset in the first place.  I am pleased that he seeks comfort from us.  That's something we can work with as he forms his attachment to us.  

Jubilee cried much less today.  I'm glad to have taken notes each day because it's comforting to me to see the change in her, even if it is small.  She actually allowed us to put her down for a short minute today, which is a big change.  We have held her for 2 days straight!  She gave us a few more smiles and every time she does my heart just melts.


Dean took Riley to the pool this afternoon.  We'll have to make that an everyday activity.  It's a mood improver.  He was so good when we headed out to the store.  Jubilee's diapers are much too big so we went out to Aeon to buy some more.  We walked around the store a bit exploring and then headed out for dinner.  We decided to take a stroll around the block and ended up on a street we weren't familiar with.  Dean's my hero, though.  He found the way back to the right street and to the Italian restaurant (Oggi's) where we were planning to eat.  Their pizza was very good and was a perfect ending to our day.

Tomorrow is the embassy medical exam.  I've heard it's an intense experience.  I'm hoping it's a piece of cake!


2 comments:

  1. Bless you sweet friend!!! I heard from Melissa that you all met. Your two little ones are precious! Jubilee sounds SO much like Evie!!! Both are so adorable!!! Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa and I did meet! She has such a sweet family and Lyra Kate and Lily Hope always seem to have smiles on their faces (well, maybe not always, but I think they're having a great time). We went to the zoo together today and I took a picture of Lily Hope posing. She's a camera queen already! Love to you!!

      Delete