Saturday, May 4, 2013

Beijing: Jet-setting while Jet-lagged

We stuffed a lot into Days 2, 3, and 4.  I planned to write everything down day by day but I didn't expect such an epic fail to my jet lag prevention plan..  The time has gone quickly and fighting the internet stinks. I'm hoping we have faster service in Zhengzhou.
 
Jetlag is a beast.  My well-thoughout plan did not tame it.  It seems that a logical adjustment of one's sleeping schedule does not change the internal clock.  The three men in my party have adjusted more quickly than I have. Dean can sleep anywhere, anyhow.  Tate is proud of himself because he wakes up between 5:30 and 6:00 am independently, whereas at home I'm dragging the boy out of his bed every day.  Riley woke up between 1:00 and 3:00 for the first few days which was WAY FUN, but he's snoozing through the night like a baby-wise baby today.  It's 4:00 am and I'm wide awake again.  It could be excitement SINCE WE WILL HAVE OUR SON IN 6 HOURS!  I'm hoping that yesterday is the last day of lightheadedness, difficulty concentrating, heavy eyelids, and insane insomnia. 

Before leaving the US, I booked Lifeline's Beijing guide to show us around the town, and she did not disappoint.  Helen is a lot of fun and does her job so well.  She's really good with Riley and if the shenanigans of my two boys have annoyed her, she hasn't let on.  Helen loves working for Lifeline, and it was amazing to be with a co-worker in a city on the other side of the world. 


Friday began with a breakfast buffet that could've kept us eating all day.  My type A brain likes my breakfast to look like breakfast and my lunch to look like lunch, but I tossed myself aside and filled my plate with fried eggs, bacon, steamed pumpkin, wonton soup, steamed cabbage and A WAFFLE.  My internal me was scrambling to organize all that but I was busy eating.  it was SO GOOD.  After breakfast we took a leisurely stroll around the block, dodging scooters and bikes and taxi cabs, just to see what there was to see.  SO MANY PEOPLE.  SO MUCH SMOG.  I was tempted to hide away in our room because it was a little intimidating at first, but I'm so glad I didn't.  I've always thought Atlanta was a big city but it's a small town compared to Beijing. We've got our Perimeter but they've got four!!  Now, I'm not saying we conquered the whole city - just a block or two - but conquering my inner small-town chick was confidence boosting and gave our sons a glimpse of me they don't see everyday.

After about an hour we headed back to the hotel to gather things together for our afternoon adventure.  We're keeping the details of Friday afternoon on the down low for now, but I will say that it was THE MOST AMAZING DAY!!!  (I know that's torture, isn't it?)  It's torture for me not to write about it, but I will say it was an answer to much prayer and an assurance and confirmation of the Lord's hand on this journey. 

On Saturday, we began the day at the buffet once again.  I wasted no time with the pretense of the waffle this time and filled my plate with fried noodles, wonton soup and steamed buns.  My brain tried to balk at the lack of breakfast items on my plate, but I kept eating anyway.  Riley and Tate have surprised me with their food choices.  Tate eats mostly meat, which isn't a shocker, except that he eats plate after plate after plate and then finishes with a bowl of Cheerios.  (His type A brain screams "eat breakfast!", like mine does).  We met Helen at 9:30 in the lobby and headed out for a day of sightseeing. 

We started off our day off at Tiananmen Square where we demonstrated our ignorance of Chinese history for Helen.  She was patient with us but probably wonders if we're uneducated folk.  She did an amazing job pointing out important buildings and sharing the history of monuments and the importance of things symbolic to the history of China.  She loves her country and sharing its history, which kept me hanging on to every word. 



We headed next to Forbidden City.  Helen handled the purchasing of tickets for the tour for us while we waited with the masses to head through the main gate. Our morning was steeped in Old China, emperors, wives, concubines, ceremonies and palace life.  Helen did such an amazing job sharing the history of her country.  We've learned so much and feel blessed to have this experience to share with Wyatt and Jubilee.  I didn't realize Riley was paying as close attention as he was but several times since our tour he has asked, "When are we going to New China?"  He clearly understood that our morning was filled with Old China.  We stood on the brick courtyard that is over 600 years old! It was interesting keeping up with Riley in the courtyard.  He needed to run and we found an area away from other people (which is amazing in itself) and then spent the next 20 minutes pulling him off the water cisterns that he insisted on climbing.  I'm such a mean mom, not letting him climb inside!  Looking sheepish, Tate brought me a piece of the wall and said, "You son broke the Forbidden City." Oops!  No more climbing on the wall, Riley.  You broke the Forbidden City!







Helen asked us what we wanted to eat for lunch.  She offered up a few safe suggestions for timid tummies, but also told us about a restaurant that the locals love.  We chose to eat with the locals.  We were not disappointed.  Everyone stared at us.  We were the only Westerners in the place, but it wasn't uncomfortable for long because the food started rolling out.  Helen helped us order.  We had plain noodles that were served with sides of vegetables and a sauce.  The veggies came out first and Dean ate his, thinking it was a salad.  It was served like a salad.  Cucumbers and carrots shredded and on a small plate.  Helen stopped him before he devoured the whole plate.  Thank you, Helen!  When the noodles arrived she showed us how to mix up the noodle bowl and it was amazing.  SO TASTY.  We also had a fried snack with a spicy sauce, shredded potatoes fried and stacked like a haystack and kung pow chicken.  Everything tasted so good.  The kids impressed me with their willingness to try new things, and we left there stuffed like cabbages. 

After lunch we took a tour of the hutongs riding rickshaws.  This was my least favorite part of the day.  I didn't mind the rickshaw ride and it was interesting but I think I would've rather poked around in the national history museum.  The hutongs are old and dirty and sad in some ways.  We stopped in a local market where people tried to press things into our hands and looked disappointed when we didn't purchase their overpriced wares. The market was filled with beautiful produce with such variety.  I wish we had that variety in our produce department at the Piggly Wiggly.  Even a 45 minute drive to the Publix wouldn't afford me the choices that this small market provided.  The spices were plentiful, gorgeous and smelled amazing.  I did buy some.  I couldn't resist the fresh fennel and red pepper.  I can't wait to cook with them!!  Our tour guides for the hutong tour are from Zhengzhou (the province where Wyatt is from), and I asked them a lot of questions.  They were gracious and answered my every one, clearly enjoying sharing about their well-loved home town.  We had tea in the home of a hutong resident whose husband collect antiques.  Her home was beautiful and filled with pieces that keep me gazing with awe while I tried to focus on what our guide was saying.  We even had the joy of taking Riley to a two-pillar bathroom in the hutong.  (The higher the pillar number, the higher the class of the family).



Note to future travelers:  Bring with you to China a patient ear for your guides.  Though our guides seemed to understand us well, it was difficult to understand them at times.  Sometimes when I'm confused I just have to listen carefully for a bit and then the context of what is being said helps to clarify things.  I have found that my enjoyment of this experience has much to do with not becoming irritated by inconveniences and unmet expectations.  I keep reminding my boys (and myself) to be mindful of our attitudes.  I can definitely see how one could leave feeling overwhelmed and stressed out. 

After our hutong tour, Helen returned us to our hotel and we took a good nap before a Pizza Hut dinner.  Pizza Hut is not Pizza Hut, y'all.  I don't mind trying new foods but familiar foods should be familiar.  Just saying'.  If what you want to eat is pizza, order the pepperoni or the cheese lovers.  They put some unique things on pizza in Beijing! 

There's so much more I could say about the past couple days, but it's time to hit the sack, so that I can lay motionless for hours begging to fall asleep. Please pray for me and this whole jet lag thing!

Night, y'all. 

1 comment:

  1. Keep the words flowing. Loving your stories. I think I could be ther with you.

    ReplyDelete