Thursday, May 9, 2013

Appointments and Appearances, Take "I've Lost Count"


Just like in Wyatt's province, the day after receiving her, we traveled back to the civil affairs office to finalize our adoption and complete the adoption registration.  We had to promise not to neglect and abuse our new daughter and vow never to abandon her - easy promises to make!!  We had a picture taken for our adoption registration and then pictures taken with the Civil Affairs official.  We received the official registration documents and can now officially say that Jubilee is a Robinson!!


After finishing the documents required at the Civil Affairs office, we headed over to the notary office to have everything stamped up.  It was quick.  Riley stayed in the van with the Johnsons.  Thank you, Johnsons!!


Riley has struggled with the amount of sitting and waiting.  I know many have shared that their young ones have done well on this trip, but it's been very hard on ours.  I am certain that the hundred acres behind our house and the hours of playing every day make for a much different little boy.  It's just very hard to provide him with the same level of activity here and it shows in his behavior. He's getting quite good at eye-rolling.


I was so thankful for Savannah Johnson and her patience today.  She's probably thankful that she doesn't have a little brother! 


I think next week will be easier for Riley since we have more fun things planned (zoo, gardens, park, outings).  I hope so, anyway!

With an afternoon free of appointments and appearances, we filled the hours trying to keep 4 children happy. Jubilee is still crying much of the time.  She's very scared and doesn't handle unexpected moves very well.  If you can imagine, our hotel room is filled with boys making near constant unexpected moves.  I know she will adjust in time but right now crying erupts nearly every few minutes.  


Riley and I explored the entire hotel today.  We've been in and out of shops and around the gardens a thousand time.  There's a children's playroom that Riley ransacked and put back together.  The escalators are good for a few minutes entertainment.  His favorite thing to do is look at the fish.  They have gorgeous koi ponds and beautiful paths that capture his attention for the longest period of time (maybe 10 minutes).  Do other people have 5 year olds so active?  After some one on one time with my little man, he was much, much happier.





We're hoping to get to the park as soon as we've mastered having two babies.  I know we've mastered this type of scenario before, but we weren't in China.  Back home there aren't a billion people and cars and buses to consider when planning our outings.  I'm sure people can tell we aren't city folk.  We're getting better at it but you couldn't call us city slickers yet!  

After a nice nap we headed out on the town.  Riley doesn't complain about walking and we've done quite a lot of walking. There are plenty of restaurant choices and I was happy to have Mexican food for dinner.  We ate at Tekila's and it was very good.  (We had to ask for chips and salsa.  They weren't just served as we sat down.)  The new little Robinsons LOVE salsa.  Actually, Jubilee gave us her first little grin after a tiny taste of salsa.  Clearly our two new ones speak our culinary language!  We're gonna be just fine!

Despite the fact that all the children slept well through the night last night, I was exhausted today.  I'm a bit concerned about the level of lightheadedness and sleepiness and wonder if it's normal to randomly fall asleep without notice.  I think I fell asleep while talking to the kids back home on FaceTime.  Sorry kids!  If it doesn't get better I may need to visit the Western doctor in this hotel, or maybe the spa  :).  

Dean and I haven't had a conversation in days!  I hope I don't sound like a whiner.  I'm really not complaining.  It just feels more like we're manning neighboring battle stations than it feels like we're traveling together.  Not what I expected.  This is certainly not a vacation!  We might need a vacation when we get home, though.  I'm hoping that this exhaustion will subside and we'll get into a little bit of a happier routine tomorrow.  

Night, folks!

2 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph described our time in China to a tee. We were in survival mode...going from one appt to the next with one child screaming her head off the entire time and the other one thinking it was hilarious to dart off from us. It will get better - I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm counting on it getting better. :) Actually today was SO good. Jubilee and Wyatt are both happy and laughing today. Jubilee is like a different baby. So thankful! Thank you for the encouragement. It's life saving!!

    ReplyDelete