Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day One: Travel (A blog post as long as that flight from ATL to Seoul!)

Packed and ready to go we got up this morning (yesterday morning, whenever). 



 
 We are last minute shoppers.  There were some things we just had to pick up before leaving for China - things like socks for Tate, really good snacks and some baby constipation medication (highly recommended by a friend that had the pleasure of trying to pantomime their desired item at the local pharmacy).  Then came the banking fiasco.  

Because of the banking fiasco, there was NO time to stop, which means I'm going to need to refresh all of my expectations for the coming trip.  Remember folks, the space between expectations and reality is called disappointment!  I'm telling myself that properly aligned expectations are going to make this whole trip a breeze!!  Every bit of the last minute shopping thing could've been avoided and our desired items could've been safely tucked into our suitcases days in advance, but I usually try to complicate everything with a banking/Walmart run on the way to the airport.  

I had the whole morning planned to the minute.  We left in plenty of time.  Dean was to drop me at the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions and grab Tate a quick haircut. From there we would head to town and hit the bank to wire money and withdraw cash for our trip.  Next up - passport photos at Walgreens (because for the life of me I can't find ours) and we would finally make one more Walmart run for last minute items.  If all went according to plans, we would arrive at the airport three hours before departure, as recommended by the airline.

Nothing went as planned except for the haircut.  

I'm not sure why I thought it would go off without a hitch.  When will I learn?  Nothing really goes off just as planned.  The pharmacy wasn't ready for us when they opened.  Their sign said 8:00 but in reality 8:00 is when the employees arrive to open the doors  It takes about 30 more minutes to open all the registers and be ready to match customers with their prescriptions.  

We chose a bank branch unfamiliar with us.  They didn't see the need to try to be accommodating.  We had moved money from one account to another (both the same bank) the day before in order to have enough in one account to make our wire transfer.  Even though the funds were available to be moved before the transfer from one account to another, every dollar moved became tied up in the transfer.  Our money was floating around in cyber space unable to be accessed.  We were finally able to resolve the situation but it effectively took up every minute available for our Walmart run.  Tip for future travelers:  if you are planning to do your wire transfer on the way out of town, don't.  Give yourself a few days in case there are issues like this.  There's nothing quite like heading to China without all of the cash we hoped to carry.  No worries, though, (insert sarcastic tone of voice) since our bank gave us the locations of ATMs in Beijing where we can withdraw money. I'm sure that will go off without a hitch.  Right?

 Arriving at the airport stressed me a little.  I'm not going to lie.  Being dropped off at the front doors by my teenage son and watching him drive away alone in our 15 passenger van smacked me with emotion.  




Checking in was easy peasy.  Korean Air is super friendly and efficient.  We headed to the ATM next.  It was no shocker that the ATM didn't have much cash available for withdrawal.  After a few exchanges laced with panic between Dean and I, we decided to call it an adventure and headed for security. (This could have all been avoided if I hadn't said, "There's a huge line at the ATM.  Let's just withdraw cash at the airport."  Lesson learned.)

I'm standing in the security checkpoint line, minding my own business, answering questions like "does the pilot like to go hunting", when I glance down and my eyes fix on Tate's socks.  


Me:  Oh my!  How did those disgusting socks make it into the clean sock basket?  

Tate:  I didn't get them from the sock basket.   They were in my room. 

Me:  Well, that makes perfect sense.  Don't take your shoes off again today.  Do you understand me?

We settled in for a short wait before boarding, during which time I came to the conclusion that little boys should't have wheeled baggage to pull around.  Boarding was smooth and we were in the air in no time.  Those that know me well know that every flight is torture for me - lot's of anxiety.  I joked all last week about packing Xanax for the flight, but it turned out to be unnecessary.  (Unless Dean slipped something in my drink and that's why everything went so smoothly, ha!) When I was pondering so proudly about my unusual lack of inflight anxiety, the words of our pastor on Sunday sounded loudly.  "You can't threaten a Christian with Heaven."  I know a flight isn't really a threat for most people, but for me inflight anxiety has always taunted me - until today.  Praise God!

A few thoughts about the flight for upcoming travelers, Korean Air is as good as it gets in economy.  All the things I could complain about our flying experience have to do with economy class, not the airline.  They crew is kind, gentle and attentive.  The takeoff and landing were smoother than any other flight I've ever taken.  

The flight from ATL to Seoul is LONG.  We had so many movies to choose from, and I watched several I've been wanting to see.  BTW, The English Patient is WAY different when you watch it on TBS.  Not a good choice if you're sandwiched between your two sons.  Fortunately they were preoccupied with movies and video games and combat crawling up and down the aisles and under the seats (Riley!)  

Riley:  7 Hours In

The food inflight was as good as any economy class we've had before.  We weren't expecting fine cuisine.  They served beef with mashed potatoes, Korean rice bowl with soup, or fish with noodles.  Riley had a kids meal each time, pizza and hamburgers with french fries.  Snacks and drinks were provided often.  We felt well taken care of.  

Sleep was difficult, but surprisingly Riley did well without it.  He did manage to fall asleep about 10 hours in, stretched across Dean and I.  I was so worried that he would roll off onto the floor that I didn't sleep well.  It was okay, though, because not sleeping was part of my jet lag prevention plan anyway.  (The plan was unsuccessful, by the way.)

We landed in Seoul right on time and were greeted by friendly airport staff that directed us to the transfers hall.  We made a quick trip through security and then scoped out our gate before looking for something to eat.  I didn't expect an inflight meal since our flight to Beijing was only a hour and a half.  I was worried that we would get to the hotel so late that there wouldn't be time to eat.  We didn't want to spend all night hungry and nothing else on any menu looked familiar, so we ate hot dogs.  I know, I'm brave.  There was a pork cutlet thingy with curry that a lady was eating at the table next to us.  It looked good and I thought about ordering that, but I think it's wise to avoid unfamiliar foods before being locked up in a plane with a bunch of strangers for and hour and a half. 

Note:  Korean Air serves a full meal, even if the flight is only an hour and a half.  There wasn't a choice offered for this meal, and I wasn't hungry, but it looked comparable to the food served on the previous flight.  They also served Riley a kids meal, which was nice.  

We met an adoptive family from Kentucky on the airplane and enjoyed the baggage claim/customs experience together in Beijing.  It wasn't a bad experience.  The immigration process looks like Atlanta's.  You wait in a line.  They welcome you to the counter when it's you're time.  The agent we had was friendly and smiled a lot.  She was kind to Riley who pretended to be very shy.  Baggage claim went smoothly.  Nothing was missing and within minutes we had all four of our suitcases ready to go.  The line for customs seemed long at first but it moved quickly.  

I arranged ahead of time to have Helen pick us up from the airport and she was waiting for us in the arrivals area.  She had a sign with my name of it and greeted us with a sweet smile.  She is kind and very comfortable to talk to.  During our ride to the airport she shared with us about Beijing.  We also talked about our tour plans for Saturday and Sunday and a few tips for safety and shopping.  When we got to the hotel, Helen helped us through registration and check in and then we said our good byes.  We are really looking forward to our tours with her for Saturday and Sunday.  

Our hotel is nice.  It's in a good location and is within walking distance of Forbidden City and several good places to eat.  The hotel has a breakfast buffet that is included with our room cost.  I'm hoping it's good and has something familiar looking to eat on it.  I did promise myself that I would try new things, expand my pallet and enjoy the international traveler experience - but if they have omelets, a toaster and a steamer tray of bacon, I'm not going to be unhappy about the buffet.  Just saying'...

We're now tucked in a ready to hit the sack.  The bed is comfortable, but as exhausted as I am, it confounds me that I can't fall asleep.  Excitement, jet lag and gratitude are swirling around in my head keeping me awake.  I'm really wishing we had made it to the Walmart - the melatonin was on that list.  

Night, folks!

5 comments:

  1. your hilarious.
    i can't wait to see your babies in your arms.

    nighty night

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tamara! LOVE following your journey and look forward to your babies finding their forever!!! Blessings and love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara-
    You are such an entertaining writer - and such well placed pictures! I always enjoy following adoption trips, but I am really looking forward to the next two weeks of following yours.
    You are probably getting ready for bed now with the anticipation of folding your babies into your arms in the morning. I'll be praying for your newly expanded family and a smooth transition as you get to know each other.
    Laura Brewster (aka Nathan's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for following along on our journey!! In only a few more hours precious Wyatt will be in our arms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tamara,
    I am so excited about your journey. Know that our love and support is with you all. I cant wait to meet your new little babies. How exciting and wonderful this all is. God has blessed you with a beautiful family.
    Praying,
    Kim, Burt & Clan

    ReplyDelete