Sunday, February 20, 2011

Making a go at farming...




This morning I got up feeling so restless.  It's a feeling that's been stirring in me very frequently of late.  God has been speaking to me and tugging at my heart, and I know there's something in the works, but the vision just isn't clear, at least not yet anyway.  Waiting is not my strong suit, so before I even stretched my foot out from under the covers I prayed and surrendered my impatience to the Lord and asked Him to help me wait on him.  As the Breakfast Club gathered, I put on some music for them and almost laughed when the first song that came on was "While I"m Waiting".



Dean doesn’t seem to have any trouble with waiting. I love that about him.  If ever he’s waiting on the Lord, he just does something like bring 'round the tractor.


Right after lunch he dug us a garden spot. It was a spur of the moment decision that we didn't even talk about until enough space for a 4-row garden was plowed up.  We are not farmers, so this should be a very interesting endeavor indeed.  I can't even keep potted plants alive.  I think a 4-row garden is a bit ambitious for a first attempt at farming, don't you?


Besides the love, laughter, and incredible joy that lots of kids will bring to your adventure, you can rest assured that when there’s a job to do, many hands make light work.  I think my ball team took all of 3 minutes to clear the garden spot of all the grass clumps and rocks.  I wonder if their enthusiasm for farming will continue during the hoeing and weeding phases of farming.  I guess we’ll see, now won’t we?


While the kids had a great time playing in the plowed field, the dirt got the best of me today.  That's a real shocker, too, because dirt is not new to Team Robinson. My kids are masters at putting on the mess.  We’re just SO not farmers that it didn’t even cross my mind, when the kids yelled, “Tractor!” and ran out the back door, to tell them to change out of the shirts they wore to church this morning.  I was just caught off-guard; that's all.  I’ll be on my game next time for sure!  At least the girls had the sense to change out of their dresses.There certainly is a lot of dirt involved in farming.  I guess the boys' "outside" wardrobe just got a little fancier.  I’m not sure red clay of this magnitude will ever come out.

I'm not sure you could call what I did today farming. I hope I get better at it.  Next time I'll try and pick up a rake or a shovel or something.  Today, my sole purpose in heading out to the garden spot was to take pictures of the adventure.  Here are a few of my little FFA....Isn't he just the cutest?!?







Sweet Riley Man has decided he wants me to take pictures of him "doin' cool tings".  I wonder sometimes how or why something makes it into his book as a "cool ting". Apparently today hanging your tongue out while throwing pine straw was SO cool.  After the picture he kept saying, "Did you see me mom?  I was so cool. Lemme see it 'gain." 
Check out this cool FFA post we found near the field where Dean was plowing!  I love old things that were here when my grandparents lived and farmed here.

Dear friends, please pray for me as I wait....and as I garden.  I think I'm going to need all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment