Thursday, July 25, 2013

Summertime

We've spent a lot of time at home (or close to home) this summer "finding our new normal." So far we've not found it yet.  Ha!  It's being elusive! Some days are easier than others, but every day I'm humbled and thankful for the honor and privilege of loving the precious children God has given us.

I've struggled a bit with my attitude toward all of this rain!  There are 12 children under my roof, and when it rains all day, every day, I get a little stir crazy.  In between torrential rain and daily heavy lightening, we've walked every square inch of this property, enjoyed thousands of blackberries and tracked buckets of dirt into the house. The best thing about the weather is that the rain turned the main road to the backside of the property into a river.  We, of course, couldn't keep the kids out of it.  They have played for hours on end in Rio Robinson.  




As the river slowed, turned to puddles and then eventually dried up, Riley discovered a "family" of tadpoles flipping and flopping around in the mud. A rescue mission was quickly executed and the soon-to-be frogs are safely swimming around in the pond where the catfish might or might not snack on them.  Do catfish eat tadpoles?  



Around about the middle of June, the words "I'm bored" began to echo through the house, so I agreed to allow a little fun-boosting project.  As a result, in true superhero fashion, I saved countless teens from certain peril by halting the construction of an epic slip-n-slide designed by one Blake Robinson.  Before any of you way cool moms, dads and teens calls me a party pooper, please know that somebody would've certainly broken something if I hadn't stepped in....and that somebody would've probably been Dean.  


The way less epic slip-n-slide was still a lot of fun and has provided quite the entertainment around here.






Boredom threatened again around mid-July, but then I got this hare-brained idea (from my dear friend Stephanie) to take the kids out to eat some free food.  I almost bailed at the last minute, overwhelmed by the need for 13 head-to-toe cow costumes.  The tween girls sensed my weakness and wavering, though, and quickly sprung into action.  They jump on any opportunity to head to town!  A few hours later, we were all clad in black and white, with masks and tails in hand, and piled in the car for the 45 minute drive into town.  I'm so thankful we did, too.  We had a great time and dinner was delicious (and free to boot).  There was even a bonus:  Team Robinson won the best dressed herd contest at Chick-fil-a's Cow Appreciation Day!!  Thank you Chick-fil-a!!  



No summer is complete without a little heart-pounding adventure, right?  Nothing gets my heart pounding like creepy critters!  I've tried to keep an open mind about snakes, and I've even been nice to at least one.  I took a picture to demonstrate the fair treatment this little specimen received during a summertime science lesson with cousins.




Rattlesnakes, however, get another treatment altogether.  This little guy was spotted by my sweet Olivia who happened to look down while we were all trying to find the source of the odd buzzing we could hear.  
Can you spot the little critter?
I was certain I would find a hornet's nest hanging high above our heads.  (Heads up, folks - I'm probably not the best person to approach with your outdoorsy, hey-what's-that, questions.)  I'm so thankful Olivia spotted the snake before he struck her.  I know all might not agree with the swift justice applied, but I have a solid "no rattlesnake" rule in the backyard and violators will be dealt with swiftly.  Thank you, Blake!  


After the deed was done, several of the kids insisted on holding the snake (not me) and having their picture made with the snake (not me).  Comedian Brooklyn innocently smiled  for her picture.


Then promptly scared the bejabbers out of everyone by hollering and wiggling the gross thing at me.  Of course, I screamed and about wet my pants.  She's unrepentant.


We've got a little more fun to pack in before Fall pokes its head into this corner of the world.  Hopefully, we'll make it all the way to first frost without any more snake adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment