Sunday, February 26, 2012

Black Gold, Texas Tea

Riding around in our big white van can be interesting at times.  Sometimes it's loud and wild; other times everyone is cranky and whiny; then there are times where it's a whole lot of fun.  Every now and then there's a happenin' worthy of writing down.  I store up the CRAZY on purpose so that when a rough day rolls around we can scroll through and laugh and laugh until we feel better.

Some days the laughter keeps me from crying.....seriously!

I'm not sure if we're funny to other people or we're just funny to ourselves, but today the funny helped get me through the day.

Back to the big white van and today's ride to and fro....We're rolling along the highway this afternoon when Dean and one of our offspring get to talking about some new show called Bayou Billionaires. This sparked a vehicle-wide convo about what we'd do with a billion dollars.  I'm only half-listening by this point because I've recently begun using all of my riding to and fro time trying to beat Dean's high score in Bejeweled Blitz.

This is important, y'all!  You have no idea how crazy I can get about the high score!

I vaguely remember someone asking Dean if he knew any billionaires, but my attention didn't really leave the game until I noticed that Dean's words began to rhyme. He wasn't singing, y'all, just talking in a regular voice, with normal story-telling inflection, explaining about the only billionaire he knew.  Ummmm.  Huh?  We don't know any billionaires!  I almost said something, but then I did it - 178,850!!! NEW HIGH SCORE!!  Attention back to the game!

I almost missed the hilarity around me.  I have no idea how he kept a straight face because by the time I heard "black gold, Texas tea" I was making snorting noises, rolling side to side and trying not to wet my pants.  It wasn't until he got to the line "Californy is the place you ought to be" that somebody caught on, which is not surprising since the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES is about a billion years old.  Within seconds I pulled up a You Tube video of the theme song and we were all singing along.  Ah, joy!  Thank you, God, for a husband that makes me laugh without even trying!




No comments:

Post a Comment